Good news….you can build your own sandwich!
Healthy sandwich picks:
- Whole grain bread
- Any fresh veggie available
- Turkey breast
- Lean ham
- Roast beef
- Avocado (ask for 3 or 4 slices)
- Pickles & pepperocinis
- Ask for only one slice of cheese or light cheese.
- Specify how much meat you would like added- and aim for about 2-3 oz.
- Only choose salads such as tuna salad if they are specified as low-fat.
- Vegetarian doesn’t always mean healthy! Many vegetarian sandwiches are loaded with cream cheese, cheese and avocado or mayo. A better bet: a little avocado, hummus and lots of fresh veggies!
- Pair sandwiches with low-fat sides such as fruit salad, green salad, broth based soup or baked chips.
- Ask for sliced bread instead of rolls to keep portion size down or save half for tomorrow.